DON’T Suck Out Snake Venom | Survival Myths

In this blog post, you will discover the truth behind the common survival myth of sucking out snake venom. Enter the world of survival tactics and learn why this widely believed method may not be as effective as you think.

DON’T Suck Out Snake Venom: Debunking Survival Myths


You’re out in the wilderness, surrounded by nature’s beauty, when suddenly, you hear a slithering sound. You freeze as you spot a snake, poised and ready to strike. Panic sets in, and you recall the age-old advice you’ve heard: suck out the snake venom. But wait! Before you make that risky move, let’s debunk this survival myth and explore the facts behind it.

Myth #1: Sucking Out Snake Venom Works

You’ve probably seen it in movies or read about it in old survival guides – the idea that sucking out snake venom from a bite can save your life. However, this technique is not only ineffective but also dangerous. Here’s why:

  • Limited Effectiveness: Sucking out snake venom does not remove a significant amount of the toxin. Most snake bites inject venom deep into the tissue, making it impossible to suck it all out.

  • Risk of Infection: Putting your mouth directly on a snake bite wound can introduce harmful bacteria, leading to infection.

  • Delayed Treatment: Instead of wasting time attempting to suck out venom, it’s crucial to seek proper medical attention immediately.

Myth #2: Cutting and Squeezing the Bite Area Helps

Another popular myth is the idea that cutting the bite area open and squeezing out the venom can save your life. This practice is not only ineffective but can also worsen the situation:

  • Increased Bleeding: Cutting the skin around the bite can cause excessive bleeding, leading to further complications.

  • Higher Risk of Infection: Similar to sucking out venom, creating an open wound increases the risk of infection, which can be more harmful than the snake bite itself.

  • Delay in Medical Care: Trying to extract venom by cutting and squeezing wastes precious time that could be used to seek professional medical help.

Myth #3: Applying Tourniquets or Ice on the Wound

Some believe that applying a tourniquet or ice to the snake bite area can slow down the spread of venom. However, these methods are not recommended for the following reasons:

  • Tourniquet Risks: Tying a tourniquet too tightly can cut off blood flow to the affected limb, leading to tissue damage and even amputation in severe cases.

  • Ice Constriction: Placing ice on the wound can cause constriction of blood vessels, which may trap the venom in one area, intensifying its effects.

  • Delayed Treatment: Using tourniquets or ice can delay proper medical care, resulting in the venom spreading further throughout the body.

Myth #4: Drinking Alcohol to Neutralize Snake Venom

Some believe that consuming alcohol after a snake bite can neutralize the venom’s effects. However, this is far from the truth:

  • Increased Health Risks: Alcohol consumption can impair judgment and delay seeking medical help, putting your life at risk.

  • No Scientific Basis: There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that alcohol can counteract snake venom in any way.

  • Focus on Medical Treatment: Instead of turning to alcohol, focus on getting prompt medical attention for proper treatment.

Myth #5: Using Electric Shock Devices to Treat Snake Bites

In some extreme cases, people have resorted to using electric shock devices to treat snake bites, believing it can neutralize the venom. This dangerous practice should be avoided due to the following reasons:

  • Risk of Further Injury: Electric shock devices can cause additional harm, especially when used inappropriately on snake bite wounds.

  • No Validation: There is no scientific validation to support the effectiveness of electric shock devices in treating snake venom.

  • Seek Professional Help: Instead of risking further injury with unproven methods, seek help from medical professionals who are trained to handle snake bites.


When faced with a snake bite, remember that sucking out venom and other common myths are not the solution. Swiftly seek professional medical attention without delay. By debunking these survival myths, you can protect yourself and others from unnecessary harm and ensure a safer outcome in snake bite emergencies.


  1. Can sucking out snake venom actually worsen the situation?
  2. What is the safest and most effective way to treat a snake bite?
  3. How can I differentiate between a venomous and non-venomous snake bite?
  4. Is it advisable to use any home remedies before seeking medical help for a snake bite?
  5. Are there any preventive measures one can take to avoid snake bites in the wilderness?